One of the Best Culinary Inventions of the 20th Century

So from what I can gather, important culinary inventions of the 20th century include:
  • Microwave Ovens
  • Paper Towels
  • Saran Wrap
  • Food Processors
  • Tupperware
  • Disposable aluminum roasting pans
However, none I could find thru a very thorough 8-minute Wikipedia research sabbatical from my workday can compete with my pressure cooker. If you aren't familiar with pressure cookers, they are a pot with a pressure-sealing lid that creates a high-pressure environment for cooking foods, and the higher pressure forces water into the food in addition to raising the boiling temperature for water, thus cooking foods at half to a fraction of their normal cooking time.

Since getting mine for Christmas, I've cooked beans (30 minutes, and the best evAH according to Taste Tester and his friend), potatoes (making about 15 pounds of potato salad in 30 minutes); asparagus, broccoli, corn husks for tamales, chicken for shredding and filling the tamales, and I'm looking forward to trying brown rice in it, which I can never completely finish cooking in my rice cooker. We practically never get to put it in the cabinet because it's always being used and cleaned for use again.

I really must insist that everyone try one. They come in several sizes; my 4 quart is perfect for me but smaller versions are on the market. Most are less than $30; at Target right now this 4qt is $19.99. Go rush to the store this instant.

And thanks Mom.

Comments

Popular Posts