Banana (and other stuff) Bread


This is one of those things that embodies fall to me, even if bananas are tropical.  And not just banana bread, but all vegetable-based breads, like zucchini and pumpkin and coconut.  Well, coconut is technically a fruit. So is pumpkin. Damnit, so is zucchini.

That is REALLY not the point.  They are all things that unexpectedly make great tasting bread that I like for breakfast.  In Barbados, coconut bread was a dense, crumbly, amazing local specialty that I ate with a little cream cheese.  I've never been able to recreate it.

And zucchini bread?  Who thunk that up.  Probably a desperate Pilgrim, those crafty frugal pragmatists.

This new banana bread came past a colossal failure with the texture of tofu. Following a recipe closely helped, although* I did add** a few drops of orange oil. *And half a teaspoon of coconut extract.  **And pecans on top, to avoid complaints from Taste Tester who doesn't appreciate my obsession with nuts.

Coconut Banana Bread

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup mashed bananas
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup flaked coconut
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

I used 3 bananas, and my coconut was toasted.  I also used less sugar because all things in moderation/weight watcher's suggestion/processed foods are bad/the hell ever you like.

After mixing all the wet ingredients, stir in the dry (easiest to premix those in another bowl too) and bake in a loaf pan for 1 hour at 350.  Check for a toothpick to come out clean to be sure it's done.

Comments

Popular Posts