Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Banana (and other stuff) Bread


This is one of those things that embodies fall to me, even if bananas are tropical.  And not just banana bread, but all vegetable-based breads, like zucchini and pumpkin and coconut.  Well, coconut is technically a fruit. So is pumpkin. Damnit, so is zucchini.

That is REALLY not the point.  They are all things that unexpectedly make great tasting bread that I like for breakfast.  In Barbados, coconut bread was a dense, crumbly, amazing local specialty that I ate with a little cream cheese.  I've never been able to recreate it.

And zucchini bread?  Who thunk that up.  Probably a desperate Pilgrim, those crafty frugal pragmatists.

This new banana bread came past a colossal failure with the texture of tofu. Following a recipe closely helped, although* I did add** a few drops of orange oil. *And half a teaspoon of coconut extract.  **And pecans on top, to avoid complaints from Taste Tester who doesn't appreciate my obsession with nuts.

Coconut Banana Bread

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup mashed bananas
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup flaked coconut
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

I used 3 bananas, and my coconut was toasted.  I also used less sugar because all things in moderation/weight watcher's suggestion/processed foods are bad/the hell ever you like.

After mixing all the wet ingredients, stir in the dry (easiest to premix those in another bowl too) and bake in a loaf pan for 1 hour at 350.  Check for a toothpick to come out clean to be sure it's done.

No comments: